The Hearthstone World Championship will bring together some of Hearthstone’s best players from around the world for a climactic showdown at BlizzCon 2014! The Hearthstone World Championship will offer a total prize pool of $250,000, with the first place winner receiving a whopping $100,000!
Before that happens, there will be some friendly competition that will ultimately decide who will qualify to attend the Hearthstone World Championship with our European Qualifier Tournament. We’re ready to share the details of this tournament with you today!
How can I qualify for the European Qualifier Tournament?
There are a few ways to qualify. A total of 130 players will be participating in the European Qualifier Tournament:
- Be a top 16 Legend player from Ranked Play in April, May, June, July, or August.
- Top players from select community tournaments between April and August will be invited to participate in the European Qualifier Tournament. We will highlight those tournaments as well as how many qualifier spots are available in that tournament.
- A Last Call Tournament will be held before the European Qualifier Tournament to determine any remaining qualifier spots, up to 130 participants. Players must be a resident of the countries noted below and must have achieved Legend rank on the European Ranked Play ladder at least one time between April and August. Players residing in these countries are eligible to participate in the Last Call Tournament for the European region: Austria, Belgium, Belarus, Bulgaria, Croatia, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Ukraine and The United Kingdom.
- Players cannot compete in multiple Qualifier Tournaments. If a player qualifies for multiple, they must choose one to compete in.
What can I expect at the European Qualifier Tournament?
The European Qualifier Tournament will have a total of 130 players and takes place in two phases. These 130 players will be matched against each other based on their cumulative placements in the European Ranked Play Rankings from April to August. The top 2 players with the highest cumulative placements will immediately advance to Phase 2 of the Tournament. Play your best each season!
All matches will follow a best of five “Last Hero Standing” format. Each player will bring three different decks to each match. If a deck is defeated during a game of the match, that player must change to a different deck for the next game of the match.
Phase 1 of the tournament will consist of “The Constructed Arena Phase.”
- Players will be matched against each other in a Swiss format based on their initial seeding.
- If a player loses three matches (not games) in Phase 1, that player will be eliminated from the tournament.
- If a player ends a round of the Swiss format tournament with a +5 match record, that player will advance to Phase 2. (Match records are determined as Wins minus Losses. 5-0, 6-1, or 7-2 records are all considered +5 match records.)
Phase 2 of the tournament is the “Final Qualifying Round.”
- In Phase 2 of the tournament, only 16 players will remain from the initial 130 participants.
- Players will be randomly seeded into four tournament groups of four.
- The top two players from each group are placed in an eight-player single elimination bracket.
The top four players will advance to the Hearthstone World Championships at BlizzCon 2014!
Hearthstone Qualifier Tournament Comprehensive Rules
Keep in mind that not all countries are eligible to participate in the Hearthstone World Championship or the Qualifier Tournaments. Please refer to the comprehensive rules below for a list of eligible countries.
For the European Qualifier Tournament rules please go here.
For the comprehensive Americas Qualifier Tournament rules please go here.
For the Taiwan Qualifier Tournament rules please go here.
For the China Qualifier Tournament rules, please go here.
For the Korea Qualifier Tournament rules, please go here.
We’ll see you at the European Qualifier Tournament table. A seat is waiting for you!